chickens not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by arkansasborn21, Jan 23, 2010.

1. arkansasborn21

arkansasborn21 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2009
    I have 85 chickens and I have only been getting 1 egg for the past month but today I got 2, they all just stopped at the same time can anyone tell me what happened

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  2. fowler_chick

fowler_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    South Western Kansas
    mine are the same, i was getting a few eggs a day and then they stopped.......my husband say it's due to the cold weather, but i have buffs that are supose to lay through the winter!!...

3. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    cold weather and not enough light. [​IMG]

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Wow, 85 chickens and only 1 or 2 eggs. That seems strange. How old are they? Have they experienced any sudden change or stress lately?

Also, how often do you check for eggs? Is it possible you have some egg-eaters in there?

5. arkansasborn21

arkansasborn21 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2009
    They range from 11 months to 1 1/2 years old and the only stress I can think of is the freak cold spell we had but I was getting the same amount of eggs before that and I check for eggs 4 to 5 times a day

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Well, their age doesn't seem to be an issue. i'm stumped. Must just be the weather and lack of light.

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  8. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    The cold weather is probally the problem. What breeds do you have? Some breeds stop in the winter, while other breeds lay regardless. I have a good mix of breeds, and was getting 18 eggs (20 hens) per day. When we got this bad cold spell a few weeks back I think I got maybe 2 or 3 eggs. Since its a little above freezing, I've been getting 7 to 10 a day. I would'nt stress it. They're probally not laying due to the cold and lack of light. I think 14 hours of light a day is ideal for them. I might try giving them more light by artifical means and see if that works...

Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by