chickens not laying

arkansasborn21

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 29, 2009
I have 85 chickens and I have only been getting 1 egg for the past month but today I got 2, they all just stopped at the same time can anyone tell me what happened

Last edited:
mine are the same, i was getting a few eggs a day and then they stopped.......my husband say it's due to the cold weather, but i have buffs that are supose to lay through the winter!!...

cold weather and not enough light.
smile.png

They range from 11 months to 1 1/2 years old and the only stress I can think of is the freak cold spell we had but I was getting the same amount of eggs before that and I check for eggs 4 to 5 times a day

Last edited:
The cold weather is probally the problem. What breeds do you have? Some breeds stop in the winter, while other breeds lay regardless. I have a good mix of breeds, and was getting 18 eggs (20 hens) per day. When we got this bad cold spell a few weeks back I think I got maybe 2 or 3 eggs. Since its a little above freezing, I've been getting 7 to 10 a day. I would'nt stress it. They're probally not laying due to the cold and lack of light. I think 14 hours of light a day is ideal for them. I might try giving them more light by artifical means and see if that works...

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom