Chickens not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chris413, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Chris413

Chris413 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2012
    Chicopee Massachusetts
    I have a small flock of only 4 birds. Only one of them is laying, which is the Plymouth rock. The other three, two buff orpingtons and one columbian rock are not. Anybody have something similar like this ever happen to them? These chickens are all about 20+weeks old. Are they missing something in there diet to help them lay?

2. Chris413

Jul 11, 2012
    Chicopee Massachusetts
    Here is a picture of all of them.
    [​IMG]

3. Chris413

Jul 11, 2012
    Chicopee Massachusetts
    Here is the nesting box set up.
    [​IMG]

4. Chris413

Jul 11, 2012
    Chicopee Massachusetts
    Here is the only egg layer in my flock. This bird tries to make up for the others. (7days a week she lays eggs)
    [​IMG]

5. aussie pete

aussie pete Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2012
    maybe they need a couple of more weeks before they lay,

6. Chris413

Jul 11, 2012
    Chicopee Massachusetts
    Can anyone help me with this one???

7. frostbite

frostbite Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    At 20 weeks, I had one laying. Now at almost 21 weeks, I have 2 laying. I expect in the next two or three weeks, everyone will have figured it out except the rooster. With all things animal, often what we need is patience. Some breeds lay sooner than others, some individuals need a little more time to mature. Us human women don't all become fertile at the same age either. So just be patient. Chickens aren't machines, they're biological entities, and there's a lot of variability there.

8. mmgillan

mmgillan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2012
    Walterboro, SC
    I was very impatient as well, so give them a few more weeks and they'll start. Small eggs at first, but in time they will get bigger. Once they start, it may not be every day they lay. Sometimes I get only 3 eggs out of 5 gals, then the next day i'll have 5. Guess it depends on their mood! Also, a good egg layer feed is a must. Good luck.

9. Stef82

Stef82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2012
    Bucks County, Pa
    Give them some time. Some are late bloomers then others.

10. cmedeiros17

cmedeiros17 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    I have three leghorns that only started laying about a week ago. My buff orpingtons and silver laced wyndottes have not laid yet.........they are all about 22-23 weeks old. So I am hoping in the next week or so they will start as well!!!!! It's definitely a waiting game- patience is needed lol. And of course good layer feed. I was sooooooo excited when I found that first egg from my leg horns. Can't wait to find my first egg from the buffs :) Hang in there.........you will surprised soon enough :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by