Chickens not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Shawnna R, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Shawnna R

Shawnna R Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2013
    I have 21 chickens in my flock as of right now. (three older ones that I know are no longer laying) so I have 19 that SHOULD be laying, but I am getting about six eggs a day. I have breeds that are supposed to be good layers. What is a good way to bring up my egg production? I have also read on here, that putting Cayenne pepper, paprika, or red chili powder in their food or water should help with producing more eggs; but how much do I use, and will it affect the taste of the eggs?
    I added five chicks to the flock this spring, (One being a rooster I really didn't want) they are now laying, and have been in the coop with my older girls for a good few months. Would the rooster have anything to do with the lack of laying? I do know I am getting a few pecked eggs each week, but I am unsure of who is doing it and how to stop it? Any suggestions on how to bring up the egg production? Thank you in advance!

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Where are you located? Is it winter there now? What are you feeding? Water availability?

Chris

3. Shawnna R

Jun 5, 2013
    We are in Oregon, it is not winter, summertime (They lay better in the winter) they ALWAYS have feed and water. I usually feed Layena and I add corn in the winter.

4. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Goggle "the molt" This time of year egg production plummets while the hens concentrate on growing a new set of clothes.

Also are you sure that you're not loosing production to egg thefts.

Finally make sure that your hens have 13 - 14 hours of daylight or artificial light every day.

Your feed bucket contents sounds about right to me.

Finally, what type or strains of laying hens do you own?

5. Shawnna R

Jun 5, 2013
    I own Rhode Island Reds, Light and Dark Brahma's, golden and black sex links, buff Orpingtons, Australorps and a few silver laced wyandottes. In the winter time I usually get any where from a dozen to eighteen eggs everyday. But they suddenly just stopped. We don't get extremely warm weather here, so I don't believe it is from heat. I recently inquired a rooster, but he has been in the flock for a good few months now and they all seem fine with him.

6. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Your hens are probably molting. It takes about 2 months to complete the molting process. Egg laying goes way down during the molt because they are using most of their protein intake to grow new feathers. The molting process most often takes place in late summer and early fall. You are probably still getting six eggs a day because you added new hens in the spring.

The best way to keep up egg production is to rotate out your older hens with pullets.

I do not think putting pepper on chickens' food makes any difference for egg laying.

You might try putting golf balls or something similar that is hard in the nests. Hens may try to peck the golf balls and it will hurt. Hopefully this will discourage hens from pecking eggs. But this could also encourage a hen to go broody because she thinks she has a clutch of eggs to sit on.

7. Shawnna R

Jun 5, 2013
    I know I have a few molting girls; I always have rotated my older hens with pullets. So all my girls (Except for three older girls i can't part with) are either a year and a half old or seven months old. I have put fake eggs in the coop, but had to remove them because I had four broody, very crabby hens.

8. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    The 1 1/2-year-old hens may be molting.

Hopefully all the 7-month-olds are laying.

9. Shawnna R

Jun 5, 2013
    I can tell that there are a few molting, but the majority look normal. I am just now getting eggs from all my new girls, and can tell who's they are because they are considerably smaller right now. SO...out of 18 hens that should be laying, I've gotten 18 eggs between two days. So maybe things are getting better. They also were fenced the last two days, as we were out of town, do they lay less when they free range? I have looked around the yard, and have not found any strays. As for "stolen" eggs....we have dogs, so not much will venture into our yard...our coop is fenced and has a full floor, and they get locked behind a gate and the coop closed tight every night so no danger there that we know of for egg theft. Thanks to all for your help with this!

10. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    Have they been wormed? or any signs of mites or lice. All can cause reduction in egg production.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by