Chickens not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sammirae09, Dec 18, 2014.

1. sammirae09

sammirae09 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2014
    Clarksville, TN
    My girls haven't laid in months. They're easter eggers so they're supposed to be consistent all year round. Ever since the time change they haven't been laying. What can I do?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    The change in hours of daylight is likely the culprit - the solution is to provide supplemental lighting ( to total 14-16 hours of "daylight"). Is electric an option in your current coop setup? How old are your birds? First year layers are less likely to be impacted by the change in daylight, but even first year pullets can experience a "layoff" in the short daylight hours of winter.

3. sammirae09

sammirae09 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2014
    Clarksville, TN
    They're less than a year old. I don't know if I have a long enough extension cord to put out there.

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    FWIW - our EE (first year pullets) are proving to be among the least reliable layers in our flock this winter. We can go a week or more with no green eggs and then get a few days where we get either one or two and then back to none (we have two in the flock, so two green egg days are good days)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by