Chickens not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by catahoulalil, Oct 24, 2008.

1. catahoulalil

catahoulalil Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Hi,

I'm new to all of this and am concerned about my chickens not laying eggs yet. They are all over 6 months old. The Black Austrolorp & the Barred Rock started laying about two months ago, but they aren't very regular yet. The Ameraucana & the Silver Laced Wyandotte have not even started laying yet. Should I be worried? What can I do to facilitate laying?

Thanks,

catahoulalil

P.S. How do I get that cute little chickie icon next to my posts?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  2. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Hello and welcome!

I had just posted about this myself, and words from the wise people here at BYC are that it could be due to animals sensing a much colder winter coming on, and their bodies need to save and build up energy. (see https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=98782 )

Also, 6 months old they may be just about to start, so possible the dreaded 'just wait' may be the answer!

Good luck!

3. catahoulalil

May 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Thanks for your reply. I guess patience is the answer here!

Catahoulalil

4. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Its worth the wait when you finally get your first egg [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

What is your feeding routine? I'm wondering if there's anything in it that might need a little tweak...I'm at the 45th parallel and birds here are laying like crazy. Mind you, the breeds/crosses are bred to accept shortening days.

6. catahoulalil

May 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I am also at the 45th parallel in Oregon. I feed them Layena chicken scratch, plus I supplement it with lots of fruit, yogurt, veggies, beans, etc. It could be the breed - one Ameraucana & one Silverlaced Wyandotte. The Barred Rock & the Austrolorp have been laying for a few months now. We are going to install a light on a timer to increase their day time, so maybe that will help.

catahoulalil

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I feed them Layena chicken scratch

Did you mean to say you are feeding them mainly scratch? If so, that is not adequate. You may have meant Layena, plus scratch, in which case, then "scratch" what I said, LOL. Sounds like they are getting maybe too many side items to eat if you feed lots of fruit, but that wont stop them from laying altogether. I have many who are not laying and really should be by now, so hang on! The seasons are changing big time and that may slow down the works some.​

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by