Chickens not legal =[

xmandapandahx

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 14, 2012
What can we do about this? We are in Oklahoma City and everything I had read said they were legal to keep in city limits until today (after we bought the chicks and have them in our home!). I got home and dug a little deeper and on a completely different page in the municiple code book there it was, they are illegal if you have less than one acre. Who the heck has one acre in the city?! We have a large lot compared to most others (also mainly because our home is small, at 800 sq ft) but all the homes in our neighborhood are small with large lots. Anyways, we aren't anywhere near an acre... Do we have to sell our chicks?! Really?! After all the time spent researching and money spent on them already?! :/

Well don't know about there but join the local 'allow hens' group- also is there a way to keep them inside or out of sight?

Can they be defined as pets if you get harnesses saddles and leashes?

I do think you have an uphill battle here. I do agree to make sure your neighbors are ok and if so, keep it down to a small flock and make sure the coop blends well with the home.

I would also look closely at the ordinance-- In my town the ordinance was for farmers. There was none for small flocks. I was successful in amending the law but it took about a year.

Please see my comments in the past threads.

Good Luck.

In most places, animal control officers only respond to complaints - they don't go around looking for problems. If your neighbors are okay with you having them and never make a complaint, AC likely won't come after you. So talking to the neighbors should be your first step. Promises of fresh eggs in their future, along with assurances you won't have roosters and hens are sound asleep (and quiet) in their coop at night, might help....

I don't get many of you would suggest FREE eggs to pastify the neighbors...what if your eggs salmonella (or any ick ) in it? Then they would sue you or they would associate you with giving out "sick" eggs when they had a digestive upset from eating out in a restuarant the night before? I would never do that to my neighbors but I always say "If you WANT some eggs, I will be more than happy to share it with you of my extras!" People do get hyped up about that and it's better to be forewarned about giving out free eggs to soothe the ruffled feathers. My other neighbor refused my extra eggs, even they have lived on the farm earlier years but deemed it "unsafe" because it was not graded or sterilized or pasterized properly or they simply know what my hens have been eating. They simply can not afford getting sick from my eggs because I am not "certified" by the state of agriculture (commercially)...give me a break! But more for me and my family and extended family!

Back
Top Bottom