Chickens not on Valbazen label?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by RobParks, Dec 4, 2013.

1. RobParks

RobParks Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2013
    Northern California
    My dog tested positive for Heterakis Gallinarum. The vet said my dog is not affected by them, because they are a chicken parasite. My dog has been known to snack on chicken poo. I'm sure this is how he got it. I'm assuming my chickens are infected. Researching this on BYC, I've found people treat their chickens with Valbazen. After researching Valbazen, I could not find a label for chickens. It is labeled for cows and goats, but I see no label for chickens. I know many have used it with success. Without a chicken label, I'm hesitant to use it. What do you think I should do? Or do my chickens even need to be treated?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Valbazen is not labeled for poultry. However people use it on their chickens anyway...be sure of legalities if you sell meat or eggs. Also remember that there is NO dewormer approved for egglaying hens (Wazine is for poultry but not egglaying hens). Therefore if you give it to your hens you have to toss eggs for awhile.

Basically the only option is to let the hens die from worms unless you go off-label with egglaying hens. (Some worms may kill them.)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/125346/research-on-worming-chickens-with-albendazole
    see post #4

http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/disparas.htm#cecal
    info on caecal worms
    please read this one especially!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    X 2 Welcome to BYC.

4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens