chickens not roosting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kimberly4403, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Kimberly4403

Kimberly4403 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2015
    Mysmall flock consists of 2x 18 week old wyandotte pulleys and a 1st year laying sussex hen.. All 3 of them choose to sleep on the floor in the pine shavings rather then on the roost.. The roost is a 2x4 solid untreated pine sitting approx 1 foot high and 1 foot off the back wall of there coop.. Which gives them 3 feet of space to getup and down in there 4x4 coop.. So why dont they roost?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    If they have never been taught by an adult hen to roost, then it can take a little time. Just put them on the roosts on a night for a few days, and hopefully they should get the hang of it.

If they continue to refuse to roost, then there may be an issue with the position of the roosts.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  3. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    Mine didn't know how to roost either! I found it so odd because I thought chickens did that by instinct. Mine would literally pile on top of each other and sleep like that. CTKen is right, put them on the roosts for a few nights to teach them. Go in when it's getting dark and they're sleepy, set them on the roost but make sure they hold on so they don't fall on the floor!

4. BurntFeather

BurntFeather Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2015
    We have a group of Black Copper, Golden Cuckoo, Silver Cuckoo, and White Marans that sleep on the ground also. half sleep inside in the grass clippings and bedding while the others like to sleep on the ramp outside all huddled together. It is really odd to see them that way, but they probably stay outside because their rooster sleeps their. While the group of Easter Eggers in the coop next to them are the same age have all figured out how to roost indoors.

5. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

It could be the 2x4? Is it flat side up ? If not try putting the 2x4 flat side up....Mine all Roost..They like to basically lay on the 2x4 and keep their feet warm...I have large breed Chickens...

Cheers!

6. Kimberly4403

May 18, 2015

Yes flat side is up

7. chickens really

8. Kimberly4403

May 18, 2015

It was higher and they still werent using it hence why we lowered it..

9. chickens really

10. BurntFeather

BurntFeather Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2015
    I had a Speckled Sussex and Frizzle that a couple of years ago that NEVER Roosted. These ladies picked a corner in their 10' x 10' house and slept there every night. Only the Frizzle would lay her eggs there as well. i do not know if all chickens roost, but I had these ladies for over 3 years and not once did we ever catch them roosting. They may surprise you one day, you never know. Good luck with your little ladies.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by