Chickens not scared of hawk

Bejep714

Songster
Feb 2, 2021
South East PA
We have had our chickens for almost 2 years without any hawk attacks. They are around our area and we see them all the time. The chicken run is big with string around it, and it seems to ward off any air predators. Today I saw a massive hawk. I was sitting in the tree near the coop and it flew away when it saw me. Our chickens usually run and scream. Our buff silkie rooster yells too, but today they didnt and they just watched it. This might be a stupid question, but is that good or bad on how they reacted? I'm not sure if I like how they were not at least alarmed by it. We dont let them free range alone so i dont think that's a huge problem.

Maybe they feel safe in their run, and I do hope that they are right! If an actual attack occurs, especially if it's successful, the survivors will be much wiser. And hawks do sometimes attack very close to humans, so being there isn't always enough of a deterrent.
This late fall and winter we've had one very close call, and hawks hunting right around the house and coop often. Our chickens are locked in their coop and run, because it looks pretty dangerous outside for them right now.
Mary

My big RIR rooster runs all his girls inside and he stands out tempting the young hawk flying around here. He's done whipped the hawk's butt once, thought he had killed it.

I was over to a friend's house about a month ago, and a red shoulder hawk attempted to get a hen not 15' from us. My friend just about got to the hawk before it flew off. Hen was scared senseless, but unharmed.

I've had a lot of hawk predation this fall/winter. If my chickens so much as see a cardinal fly over head they go flying under the trees. My husband is building a run because these hawks will not be deterred.

I have answer because I see frequent interactions between my chickens and hawks. My chickens are not concerned about hawks that do not look at the chickens. They are not overly concerned about hawks flying by overhead or soaring.

Some people are lucky but I have had a hawk kill a bird a couple of time that was next to me. It happened so fast I didn't have time to react. One time I had some chicks out and a hawk swooped in and grabbed a chick. Again it happened so fast I didn't have time to react so all I could do was watch it fly off with my chick. Good luck...

Back
Top Bottom