1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens not sleeping in House

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tomroyall, Jul 28, 2011.

1. tomroyall

tomroyall New Egg

Jul 28, 2011
    I am new to keeing chickens! We bought a run for our chickens when they were chicks and they slept in their house! they out grew it so we bought a bigger House and plan to have them free range and lock them up at night I put a tempary run up just so they got familiar to their new home but they are not sleeping in it for the last 4 nights they have slept out side. I'm concerned please help advise gratefully recieved!

2. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Put a light inside. They'll come in when it gets dark.

3. tomroyall

tomroyall New Egg

Jul 28, 2011
    Thanks any other advise for a newbie!

4. Keltara

Keltara Chillin' With My Peeps

The light should do it. If not, then as it begins to get dark, go out and put them in the coop. After a few nights, they'll get the idea. They don't know where their home is anymore (even if it's right in front of them). They need help finding it.

Good luck!

5. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. It won't take long for them to get used to it. [​IMG]

6. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    I am having the same problem with mine. They have been in their coop since the weekend of July 4th and they STILL don't go in the coop by themselves. They all huddle by the door of the run and "call" for me to come help them...even with a light on in the coop. [​IMG] I don't really want to keep using the light every night, but if I put them in the coop with the light off they all just pile back out the pop door after I put them in. If I turn the light on before I put them in they stay in. [​IMG]

7. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    shut them in it at night. after a couple times, they'll get the drift.

8. 1Rooster

1Rooster Out Of The Brooder

Quote:yes they will get the idea if you put them in and lock them in a couple of nights.
    do you have roosts for them? if you don't they do need them.. then when you have them locked in go out a little
    later and turn the light off.

I have 18 that I let free range for about 4 to 5 hrs and everyone of them go back to coop on their on and onto roost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by