1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chickens on concrete

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by louisebailes, Aug 20, 2011.

1. louisebailes

louisebailes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2011
    my chucks and quails are in a converted dog kennel and run, they spend 70% of there time on a concrete run they do come play in the garden, but i also have a terrier who would love a leg to chew on,and a 3 year old who doesnt care about gates ect, to increses there quality of life i was wondering about buying a big litter tray and filling it with sand or dirt so they can kick around? any ideas or suggestions

2. lowry075

lowry075 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    I think something to enable them to dust bathe in would be great. I started my coop in a dog run, but it was too dark on the side of the house I could use and we expanded the set up into my back yard. If you were able to do this, maybe it would provide them with some dirt?

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Chickens enjoy being able to scratch and peck about, so being on concrete most of the time isn't really good. Could you frame in the bottom of the dog run with 2x4s or 2x6s and fill the whole thing with sand??? You can get it by the 1/2 ton or ton from most any mulch or rock company... It's easy to clean, and the birds would have the entire area to scrach/peck about in.

4. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
  5. JanetR

JanetR Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    Long Island NY
    My run is about 1/2 concrete. About twice a week I gather up a bucketfull of leaves, weeds and grass clippings from the yard and dump them on the concrete. The girls love to scratch through it and it helps keep their poop off the concrete.

6. louisebailes

louisebailes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2011
    thankyou so much for all those ideas, my mission this week.................. sort them a nice dusty type area thanks ever so much xx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by