chickens on craigslist

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jimz1, Jun 18, 2011.

1. jimz1

jimz1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Coleman, Wi
    There is a person giving away 2- 3 month old chickens because she lost 9 of them last night to 'coons. I was wondering if I can put them in with my chickens. They are bantams and mine aren't.

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    There might be a chance that you can Slowly introduce them and get them to get along, but I have never had luck with standards and bantams getting along.....usually the bantams get beaten up [​IMG]

3. Laigaie

Laigaie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Fayetteville, AR
    Also, you'll want to quarantine them for a while, to make sure they aren't carrying parasites or diseases.

4. Aves

Aves Out Of The Brooder

I have seramas with standards...this includes roosters of both sizes, I have had no problems at all, but then again my flock is housed in a large coop and a large run, plus for the last 2 1/2 years I have yet to have a problem introducing a new mini-flock to the original larger flock. The only time I have ever had issues was this spring. My standard roosters had a show down with each other, and my serams roosters had a showdown with each other. There was an outcast created both times, but the outcasts soon found themselves a small group of hens to hang with. I think it all depends.

Aves

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  5. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    I have bantams, Silkies and Cochins in with standards with no problems.

6. mommahen64

mommahen64 Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    Attleboro
    I have barred rocks, bantams, d'uccles and silkies - just usual pecking order stuff. You might find the bantams kicking the full sized hens butts a bit (I do). [​IMG] I am somewhat new but found that keeping my new birds in protective custody in the coop has helped. They get to know each other and get used to each other without the risk of getting pecked to pieces. They all go out together and are fine outside. Good luck and it's great of you to think of saving those birds. [​IMG]

7. the1honeycomb

the1honeycomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Yadkinville NC-3yrs
    I kept my Bantams and large fowl together they had no problems until a dog killed my bantam flock.they separated themselves and seemed to dojust fine
    Good Luck

8. StephanieD

StephanieD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    My 2 bantams will hurt my RIR's and BO if I leave them cooped together. The bantams I have are queens of the roosts!!

9. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
  10. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    You might want to wait til they are a little older to introduce them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by