1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chickens on fence

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rebel yell, Oct 15, 2011.

1. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    How do I stop my pullets from sitting on top of my 4 ft. chain link fence, any sugestions would help, any one elese had this problem ?

2. FarmerGrant011

FarmerGrant011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    I have the same problem and the main thing that I do to make them stay off is, whenever I see them up there, I RUN at them as fast as I can and they either fall or fly off.

3. quietlyscheming

quietlyscheming Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2011
    Crosby, TX
    Maybe clip their wings? I've heard that clipping only one wing is safer since it keeps them slightly off-balance but not so much they can't escape predators.

I dunno, that's my 2 cents. [​IMG]

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    My chickens will occasionally jump up on my 4 ft. chainlink fence then jump over into the yard where they are met by 4 dogs who are tempted to eat them. I purchased electric poultry netting, but without electric or a charger, and it has kept the chickens inside even though it is only 42 inches tall. They can't perch on the netting, so it keeps them in.

5. Marcymom3

Marcymom3 Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens jump onto my split rail fence. Rather than scaring them back into the yard, I go out with a treat which they get when they come to me. If they jump up again I put them back in their run. For the last two days they have not jumped up there. Of course, now they think they're getting a treat everytime I go out the backdoor. LOL...[​IMG]

6. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Mine are too young to do that yet, however, I picked up bird netting (cheap!) at Lowe's and used zip ties to attached it to the fence/each strip. it came in rolls of 7 ft x 50 ft. and I think it was like 13.00 per roll

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If you could add a little chicken wire along the top of your fence and have it angled to inside their yard, it may help prevent perching.

8. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    Wing clipping dont work, & when they meet my dog its all over then, shes not only tempted she does it, done had that happen more than once, I wonder would a stran of barbed wire above the chain link fence work ?

9. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:A single strand of baling wire about 2-3 inches above the top rail of your fence will discourage roosting there.

10. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    A chicken cloth or chain link to. It will also prevent and bird type predators from getting your little chickies!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by