1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens on gravel?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by peopleRanimals2, May 6, 2016.

1. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Hi, I was just wondering if it would be ok to keep my chickens on gravel? The dog run we are going to keep them in came like this. Also hoping it would double as grit. If they can't be kept on the gravel, I would just put down some dirt or sand. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. coobreeze9

coobreeze9 Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2015
    Gravel works fine, mine never had any health problems. The only problem I had was cleaning up after the girls. It's hard to sift through or wash the feces out of the gravel, and composting feces with the gravel almost seems wasteful. But composting cut grass, straw, or pine chips seems a little easier. I hope this helps.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  3. lovemy6hens

lovemy6hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    The larger the grain size, the more you'll haul out when it's dirty. That gets heavy quickly.
    EDIT: If you decide not to keep the gravel, you could always take it out a little at a time as it gets dirty. That would be easier than removing it all at one time.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
  5. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Ok, cool! I was just wondering if they would have trouble dust bathing. And could it possibly be used for grit? Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by