Chickens on "Little House on the Prarie"

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by popcornpuppy, Oct 9, 2009.

1. popcornpuppy

popcornpuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Holland, Massachusetts
    So my husband is watching "Little House" the other day and pauses live tv to see if he can identify the chickens in the prarie. He said they had barred rocks, reds (I don't remember if he said new hampshire or rhode island) and they had delawares. I said HA!!!!!!!!!! Plot flaw. Rhode Island Reds weren't developed until the late 1800's, start of the 1900's and New Hampshires came after that, plus Delawares weren't established until the 1940's. They never could of had those breeds in that time period.
    (I had my daughter look up in her "Little House" books when they lived on the prarie, Laura Ingalls Wilder was born in 1867.)

Does any one else look for chickens on tv, and then debate about the breeds?

edited for spelling

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  2. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    My DH and I do when we drive down the road and see chickens in other ppl yards...

3. Ec_Prokta

Ec_Prokta Continuum Shift Anomaly

Jan 14, 2009
    There was a chicken in a cage in an episode of Merlin. I asked my mom if she could pause it so I could see what breed it was and she said no. [​IMG] I'm pretty sure it was a Red Star, however.

4. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Honey, the movies were made in the 1970's I doubt they took the time to find the right chicken breed. [​IMG]

5. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Could have been an Auburn Javas. The precursor for the Rhode Island Red.

*buahahaha* Java's rule.

-Kim

6. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Every time we go to Disneyland and watch the muppet show, I wonder if the chickens in the background are giant cochins. Whatever they are, I want some.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by