Chickens on loan?

dskinla

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 21, 2008
Sonoma
Hello All,

I am a chicken-less newcomer to BYC who is interested in hosting chickens-for-a-day in my organic vegetable and flower garden for the purpose of pest control (for me) and free range dining (for the chickens). OK, and, I admit, for the sheer pleasure of watching the chickens. I've heard of chickens on loan to Descanso Gardens here in So. California, and was wondering if anyone in the Los Angeles area has done this with their chickens, or would be willing to do so, or could put me in touch with a chicken-herder with a mobile flock.

Many thanks!

Debra

Chickens for loan???
hu.gif
Never heard of the idea. Of course I live in Orlando, Florida, so that could be why. hehe.
You do realize that chickens are addictive, right?
big_smile.png
Might as well get the babies now and start your own flock, cause as soon as it comes time to give your rental chooks away, youll be wanting your own anyways.
gig.gif

Btw,
welcome-byc.gif

Ummm....chickens on loan in your vegetable garden could be the end of your garden.
tongue.png

They will eat the veggies in addition to bugs, etc. In fact, they might be more excited about your veggies than the bugs.

There are places that rent goats and sheep to clear brush in difficult terrain - may as well rent-a-chickens I suppose. Just don't assume they will eat only weeds and bugs and leave the veggies alone...

Thanks for the input. I'm still pursuing the idea of having chickens visit and may have found an interested party. I would time the visits so that my vegetable patches would either be fully grown in or between crops to minimize any damages the chicks might do. And, yes, I'm quite aware of how addictive these creatures are ... I'd love to get my own, but my yard is too small to provide the 25 foot minimum clearance from coop to house.

Yup, a handful of chickens will clean your garden right down to pure dust if you like. I don't think there will be any bugs, vegies or flowers left if you have the right flock. lol At least that is what my flock does to my gardens. I've pretty much given up hope on any "unfenced" gardening here.

Jody

Back
Top Bottom