Chickens "On Strike" Due to Weather

merrymutts

Songster
7 Years
Apr 2, 2016
Ft Leonard Woood, Missouri
Like many of you in the Midwest, we here in Missouri have been subjected to snow, ice and frigid wind chills...sometimes -20 and lower.

Normally my hens are great about continuing to lay in cold weather but the 9" of snow we got along with the cold winds have resulted in a drastic reduction in eggs...
I would, until last Tuesday, get between 12-16 eggs per day...4 days ago, there were NONE, past 3 days...we have gotten one each day and I think it's the same hen laying ( Light Brahma ).

The weather seems to be headed for a respite, with temps going back into the 40's and maybe higher this coming week...when can I hope to see the ladies start laying again ?

PS: we DID lose only one hen due to the cold

Sorry about the bird you lost :( ! You will probably get eggs if the birds go out . If you want to get your birds laying eggs earlier I would consider installing a light (doesn’t need to be heated) . Also doesn’t surprise that the brahama is laying. Mine is the fluffiest bird in da coop. ~ Cassie

I only turn on light at night and turn off in the morning. This is not really for the chickens but they have guinea roommates and since they are night blind, if I don't turn on light, they cannot see to go into the coop to roost.

I only turn on light at night and turn off in the morning. This is not really for the chickens but they have guinea roommates and since they are night blind, if I don't turn on light, they cannot see to go into the coop to roost.
Not good to light chickens all night.
Are guineas more 'night blind' than chickens?
Mine go to roost before it gets totally dark.

Back
Top Bottom