chickens on strike... how long?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FrogDoc, Mar 1, 2012.

1. FrogDoc

FrogDoc Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    Mid-Michigan
    We moved about a month ago. For the first couple weeks we continued to get eggs, but over the last week or two we've gotten nothing. I imagine the eggs we got right after we moved started being made at the old house, just laid at the new. And now we're seeing the results of the stressful move. Question is how long should we expect to see this last? My husband has an itchy trigger finger and keeps asking. ;)

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    It varies on how long. With spring coming it should help. Or do they have some added stress like someone cleaning the gun near them asking them to get to work? [​IMG]

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Tell your husband to put the safety on and relax that trigger finger. Within the next couple of weeks they will most likely resume laying. The increasing daylength should spark egg production. In addition to the move you did not change their feed did you?

4. peepmommy

peepmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    also, search for hidden nests! i found 2 in the past 2 days and counted 90 eggs total that were wasted!!!

5. FrogDoc

Mar 28, 2011
    Mid-Michigan
    No change in feed... but we did have to build a new coop with new water system, etc. Poor girlies.

We do have them in more of a wooded area (fenced in, but more open) and we've tried to search for hidden nests, but it's been pretty snowy. We've found loads of poop in the nesting boxes, so clearly they're mad at us! LOL

Thanks for your reponses!

6. FrogDoc

Mar 28, 2011
    Mid-Michigan
    Okay, three weeks later and still nothing. We've also noticed they're molting. I've heard this usually happens in the fall, but can they do it also in the spring, or when stressed?

As far as I can tell the new coop is awesomesauce. My DH pimped it out with a waterer and everything.

Can there be anything wrong?? How much longer to I have to <gulp> buy eggs?

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    The molt will definitely stop egg production. If they are just starting to molt, egg production may not resume for long as six weeks. Yes, they can molt in the spring, summer and fall.

Ain't nothing worse than having to buy eggs after all the hard work of building an awesome coop. Maybe the gals want indoor heating/air-conditioning and soft music.

8. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Molting is a set back. They still messing the nest boxes?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by