Chickens on strike

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tuckat, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Tuckat

Tuckat New Egg

Jul 10, 2011
    Headland,Alabama
    I think my chickens are on strike or something . I have 5 hens and 1 rooster , just a little over 1 year old.Until about 2 months ago, I was averaging 3 eggs a day, sometimes 2 sometimes 4, all of the sudden, they quit !...
    I have not changed feed and they always have plenty of fresh water. I let them out in the evening for 2 hours or so to forage around the yard. I understand the the amount of daylight has an effect so I added a light bulb in the house that came on at 4AM and went off at daybreak, now I have changed that to come on at 3:30 AM and remains on until 6:30PM..still NO eggs.
    What is wrong with my chickens ?.....They aren't carring any picket signs or anything, but they must have some sort of complaint.....Ain't gonna be much longer and they'll be in the soup pot...Please help !...TIA

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    It may take them a few weeks after the added light to start laying again, or perhaps it is not quite bright enough.

3. Brandi Leigh

Brandi Leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

It could be the breed of hen. But probably they just need to get use to the light again.

4. Tuckat

Tuckat New Egg

Jul 10, 2011
    Headland,Alabama
    I'm using one of them 60 watt squiggly lights.....The chickens still go on roost at regular time (about 5PM)though, do you think I should get a brighter light ?

5. Tuckat

Tuckat New Egg

Jul 10, 2011
    Headland,Alabama
    They are Barnevelders, They were laying very good until this.....

6. 15shenyl

15shenyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2012
    Yakima Washington
    I know my pullets will only lay 3 eggs a day if I don't give them a treat everyday, after I give then a treat, 6 eggs a day! They got me on a short leash, they know how to make me give them what they want. Try giving warm water, if it's cold where you live, my pullets love warm water every day in this cold weather. That and pasta noodles and scrambled egg with the egg shell and cheese.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by