Chickens on the Brain

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BarkingPup, Nov 29, 2007.

1. BarkingPup

BarkingPup Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2007
    Canada
    I hope this post goes here.... However, I'm not sure where else it would go so....

*ahem*

I am new to the chicken population (Only started seriously researching about three years ago) and also new to the board ^^

I am considering chickens, my parents have agreed and my dad has even suggested he help me build a coop! it's only a simple, small backyard kind of idea but it's a start!

But what breed?

My parents have certain requirments for them as do I and so I shall list them in the hopes someone can suggest a breed to me:

1. I would like a tame chicken, one that isn't aggressive or skittish
    2. I don't require meat nor eggs in proliferation (We eat game meat like moose and deer that my dad hunts instead of chicken)
    3. VERY VERY HARDY! I live in Canada, it gets awfully cold. So a chicken that can survive at temperatures of at LEAST minus thirty. The coop will be insulated and, if necessary heated with a portable heater but chickens that don't pass out if a chill wind blows would be nice ^^
    4. IF they could be bantams I'd love to have them. BUT if not, then that's okay [​IMG]

4. My mom wants them quiet. We live in the country so neighbours aren't much of a problem (Especially considering one of our neighbours has over thirty dogs....)

And that's pretty much it. I'm certain my dad expects me to turn a tidy profit from egg layers and such but I'm sure I can convince him it's a far-flung dream. My mom also has a garden so chicken poop WILL BE USED! hehe ^^

Thanks for the help and such ^^

Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

[​IMG] Hi Barkingpup, and welcome. This will be the one place you will find yourself more than any other place on the web. LOL Its an addiction. ( but a great one to have)
    As for sweet, docile, and great egg layers, and cold hearty? I would suggest, the Buff Orpington. I have 14 hens and 2 roos of this variety....and LOVE them. This is my first year with them..and they are great layers..and good broody hens. ( they will set eggs for chicks, if you have a rooster) My rooster is sweet, and very loveing. Just remember, when you get them as chicks...hold them every day, several times, and start feeding them treats at a few weeks old, from your hands. This way they will get to know, you are the bringer of food! You might want to look into getting something with a Rose comb as well. Hmmmm..im sure someone else will come along, with great advice.

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I agree on the buff orps. Just leave out the roosters for a quieter flock.

Welcome to the 'flock' here at BYC!!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  4. BarkingPup

Nov 29, 2007
    Canada
    Thank you, everyone^^

I got replies so fast.... it's so much different than the other forums I belong to.

I will go check out Buff Orpington's right away and see if I can find a supplier in Canada (if not, one who actually ships here). Some of the parrots I wish to have I can't because none of the reputable breeers I look up ship to Canada [​IMG]

*ahem* So thanks for the advice and suggestions! ^^

Anyone else wish to postie?

5. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    [​IMG] Hiya!

You might want to contact LittleChickenRacingTeam, a member on BYC from Ontario Canada, for some advise. [​IMG]

If I were you, I'd get some cochins (standards or bantam). They have feathered feet and look like a big poofball of feathers. They're rather quite and docile too.

You could try scoping out this chart: Hendersons Chicken Breed Chart

It lists if birds are cold-hardy or not. [​IMG]

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Also another breed to consider would be Brahmas, any of the 3 types...light, buff or darks...they are huge birds and have feathered feet and peacombs which would be good in minus 30 degree weather to not get frostbite...Just handle your birds everyday and take them treats once in awhile and they will make great pets...these lay well in winter....

7. BarkingPup

Nov 29, 2007
    Canada
    Quote:o.0 wow, I actually looked at that chart earlier ^^

I saved the names of the chickens that were cold hardy and docile (or, that they believed were) so I'll be sure to check them out.

Cochin's were on that list too.... yay, I'm well on my way to a small flock of chickens ^^

8. Chickee's Mom

Chickee's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2007
    Lacombe AB
    Hey barking pup what part of Canada are you from?
    I have just purchased a pair of Chanteclers, Bantams, and they are the nicest chickens ever. Look them up on Henderson's. Canada's chicken.
    The rooster is very quiet and takes such good care of his hen, I named them Gretsky and Celine!! Tt is -17 here today with a wind chill of -29. They are the only ones that went outside for a few minutes today.
    Let us know what breed you decide.

9. BarkingPup

Nov 29, 2007
    Canada
    Chickee's Mom :

Hey barking pup what part of Canada are you from?
    I have just purchased a pair of Chanteclers, Bantams, and they are the nicest chickens ever. Look them up on Henderson's. Canada's chicken.
    The rooster is very quiet and takes such good care of his hen, I named them Gretsky and Celine!! Tt is -17 here today with a wind chill of -29. They are the only ones that went outside for a few minutes today.
    Let us know what breed you decide.

I'm from central BC ^^

It gets pretty cold, especially considering I live in a rural area and on a large hill....

That's pretty cold o.0 Are quiet roosters breed specific?​

10. doghamstyluv95

doghamstyluv95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    I would suggest Brahmas. My Brahma bantam is the friendliest bird if have ever seen. She considers herself a human and begs for food and attention.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by