Chickens on the loose! - Newbie

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrsam3, Aug 1, 2013.

1. mrsam3

mrsam3 New Egg

Jun 26, 2013
    We are having a problem. We just started raising chickens. We have 11 egg layers. A farm that has 3 acres and a corn field surrounding 3/4 of our house and then a busy highway. We want them to be free range chickens but lately they have been braver and braver. Now they are venturing into the corn field and getting very close to the road. Does anyone know of any tricks to corral them?

We let them out of the coop at 7am or so and don't put them back in until 8pm... Normally at the end of the day they are easy to get back in but in the middle of the day they are very difficult to locate and pin up if we have to leave for whatever reason.

What does everyone do?

2. graymm

graymm New Egg

Apr 29, 2013
    I have had this problem, I dont have as many as you do but mine like the grassy wooded area (across the street). I had been calling to them and crumbling some bread on the ground, lately i havent had to use the bread as they have kind of gotten training to come back home when called. I can see how this may not work however if you are not sure which direction they headed. Also try shaking their food in a tin can and calling to them. That I have noticed works also. Best of Luck!

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    You could try a chicken wire fence. That might keep them corralled, as you say.

Chris

4. mrsam3

mrsam3 New Egg

Jun 26, 2013
    Well looks like everything worked out. They do roam around and they do get near the road but they know not to go on it. We have trained them with a flute that they get corn everything we blow it. We also notified around 8 pm they normally are already in the coop and roosting..

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Sounds like you already figured it out. The way to train chickens is through food. I can get mine in at any time of day with scratch.

6. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Chicken wire of a section or a chicken tractor? I've found shaking Happy Hen Treats (freeze dried) meal worms in a cottage cheese container calls them back but first you need to train them. Shake & feed often in the beginning, they will learn that sound & they do LOVE the treat. Mine know the sound of the lid being opened, will come running no matter where they are, as long as they can hear it. They even know the container by sight & come a running. Makes life so much easier than chasing...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by