1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens on the move

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Maxine Green, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Maxine Green

Maxine Green Just Hatched

Nov 19, 2016
    Greencastle, IN
    Thank you for being here. I have been read on this site for years, but just joined.
    I have Australorps and Black Jersey Giant, one is an adult JG hen about 2 yrs old and the rest (15 at last count) were chicks that I purchased, hatched 24 Aug 2016.

I tried moving the entire group into their new house yesterday just before the storm hit.
    This venture was totally unsuccessful and they spent the night in the basement stairwell.
    Today I managed to catch everyone, put them in the new house with their food & water and
    locked the door.

I know now they sound like prisoners, but I assure you they really are not. Well hopefully they will be free again, soon. Up until today they had total free roam of the yard and garden, putting themselves up at night. I need the house they were living in for new goats, hence their new permanent house.

My question is how long do I need to keep the sequestered to convince them they have moved and see their new house as their home? Thanks Maxine

2. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

I think that most people say that it usually takes 2 weeks.

3. Maxine Green

Nov 19, 2016
    Greencastle, IN
    I need to keep them locked up for 2 weeks, with no outside time?

4. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, you could try putting the goats in the old one before time for the chickens to go for roosting, and block off any way that the chickens could get in there. You could also throw some treats into where you want your chickens to now go to, and then close the door behind them so they stay there.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi, Maxine and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. I'm not so sure that there is a magic period of time to keep them in their new coop. You could try a shorter period than 2 weeks and see how it goes - if it fails, then they need to be in their new coop for longer. If possible, once you do let them out, closing off their previous coop could help dissuade them from thoughts of returning there.

Good luck
    CT

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Maxine. If you had a run connected to your coop, you could allow your chickens to go out during the day. It might help train them sooner. They wouldn't be able to go over to their former home.

7. Maxine Green

Nov 19, 2016
    Greencastle, IN
    Wow, who knew chickens were so determined.
    Thanks, I will hook up a temporary run.
    That way I won't feel so bad about keeping them locked up for 2 weeks.

8. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Good luck with re-training your flock!

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

10. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi and [​IMG] I am glad you joined us Maxine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by