1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens on the run !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by charlie 1963, Sep 22, 2012.

1. charlie 1963

charlie 1963 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2012
    I ust got 2 new hens. wings have not been cliped yet. they have gotten out of coop and running in the pen. At night they are they are roosting in the trees. How can I catch them without flying off.

2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    O lord I can see you right now chasing them. You can try a net but its still hard. One thing is to not make jerky moves be as calm as possible around chickens not just now but always chickens freak out very easily.
    I just have to laugh because we've all played ring around the coop LOL. You go around the coop chasing the chicken. I usually train mine to come to feed in a tin can. You shake it & they come running. Their suckers for food. Something you can teach them later.
    You might wait till its dark when the chicken is roosting in the tree & get a ladder. They can't see in the dark.
    After you put them back into the coop leave them locked up inside the coop for a week. I didn't notice where you lived but the weathers cool enough atleast here to leave them in the coop without cooking them. This will teach them where home is. So, hopefully every evening they will go home & you can shut their door & they will be safe for the night.

3. charlie 1963

charlie 1963 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2012
    Thank You for the Reply. You are Right, Funny. The neighbors cutting grass this morning was looking like WTH !!!! had to explain it to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by