1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens on the way, eventually. Input appreciated

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tjw0099, Feb 11, 2013.

1. tjw0099

tjw0099 New Egg

Feb 11, 2013
    Hi,

I live in southeast Virginia, Yorktown to be exact.

I am looking to have 4-5 hens for organic eggs.

I have been looking at the various breeds, but haven't been able to figure out which ones would fit best for my climate.

Looking for the hens to lay eggs, at least every other day, if not daily.

Any ideas?

Would prefer to keep the size of the hens to medium if possible.

Thanks,

Tom

2. NestingHillsSC

NestingHillsSC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    If you don't care about color of eggs, Leghorns are egg laying machines. One after another. Everyday, all year long. They will take break here and there for a day or two but then right back at it.

My fav is the production RIR for eggs. They lay nice big eggs and mine lay ALL year. Never stop. Mine lay almost on schedule. LOL. Give or take. Lay 2 days in a row, day off, 2 days day off, etc. Very cold hard in the winter and can even take the SC summers. I think they like the winter way better. HAHAHAThey a little stressed in the summer. But they still keep laying.

3. tjw0099

tjw0099 New Egg

Feb 11, 2013
    Color really isn't an issue.

We are about the egg laying.

Now, from what I've researched it is highly advised to raise the chickens from the chick stage. Apparently matured chickens that are introduced into a flock are typically 'bullied'.

Have you experienced this? If so, is it a natural chicken trait or is it particular to a specific breed(s)?

Thanks,

Tom

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Tom, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! Fortunately there are lots of chickens that fit the description of what you are looking for. I would start by exploring some breeds in the link below. Good luck to you and best of luck! You might consider a mixed flock - different looks and personalities. And now for my two cents, I am partial to Red Stars and Black Stars - friendly, quiet, and egg laying machines! Have fun!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds

5. NestingHillsSC

NestingHillsSC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    If all your going to have is 4-5 chickens and you want a smooth easy in, get the 4-5 chicks you want and raise them together. Or if you know somebody that has a lot of chickens that are all ready together and can sell you them go there. Any new comer to an established flock is a target. HAHAHA. Might as well put a bulls-eye on it for all the others to see. But that's just natural. After a few days to a few weeks a lot depends on the circumstances , there fine together. They all have ranks in the flock. The new comer just has to start on the bottom.

Except a leghorn I use to have. She came in, they came at her, ONLY ONCE they did [​IMG]She took over the Queen title in 30 seconds. Only chicken I ever had in 1 1/2 years to do that.

6. tjw0099

tjw0099 New Egg

Feb 11, 2013
    I am watching less and less tv and find myself being outside more, which is a good thing.

I am getting ready to purchase a 2 acre lot and within the next 16 months build my home.

It is there, that I intend to have my chickens.

My girlfriend and I have talked a lot about this and have decided that 4-5 would be enough for our needs.

What we don't eat, will most likely be given to neighbors.

I am quite eager about this.

I am also reviewing various coop's on this site and a few others. I plan to build it myself, novice, but non the less I want it to be built with my hands.

7. Daisy Girl

Daisy Girl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2013
    Congrats on your new adventure in life! Chickens are great- they make great pets, and they make great eggs! You will find that even if the eggs aren't "organic" they taste much better than any store bought egg. :)

Good luck with your endeavor!

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

One great resource is Building Chicken Coops for Dummies. It's available most anywhere, Amazon, etc., but it is also available at the BYC Store. Excellent for hands on building; four coop styles are described in detail, from material lists to diagrams.

An online resource is Henderson's Handy Dandy Chicken Chart at www.Ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.HTML
    I refer to it often.

I would stick to breeds listed as "dual purpose" which are pretty good layers but are hefty enough to serve for the table, if you wish to go that way.

Oh, and welcome to BYC from California wine country in the Western Sierra Foothills!

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

10. sophiesmith

sophiesmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2012
    Van Wert, OH
    Hello and Welcome from Mississippi.[​IMG]Chickens are a wonderful thing to have around. They sit on your lap,take dust baths and so so much more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by