chickens only laying not laying everyday

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vtara16, Nov 28, 2009.

1. vtara16

vtara16 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2009
    North Hampton
    My chickens just started laying about 2 weeks ago, but they are not laying everyday. Is this common if they are new layers? Thanks

2. Plain Old Dee

Plain Old Dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Seminole, OK
    Not all hens lay every day. It would be nice if they did, but DH and I figure we are doing good to get four eggs a week out of a hen. With that in mind, we figure we really need more hens!

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

LOL...I was just browsing through the "What age did your chickens lay their first eggs?" thread, and saw several people mention the same thing, so I'd assume it is common. Some evidently start up and are like clockwork from the get-go, while others take a few weeks to get into the swing of things (both with frequency and size of egg evidently). I would think it will also depend on whether your breed is known to be a steady layer or not...

4. vtara16

Sep 1, 2009
    North Hampton
    I have four hens. 2 have not laid at all yet & 2 have.
    2 eggs in the last 2 weeks.....this is there FIRST 2 eggs.

5. vtara16

Sep 1, 2009
    North Hampton
    The two that are laying are: brahma & a silver laced cochin
    what do you think?

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I get about five eggs a week from each of my brahma hens. I'd expect a little less from a cochin. Maybe three or four a week. Neither are considered high production breeds. They're dual purpose breeds - meat and eggs.

7. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

It takes about 26 hours to form an egg, high production layers can lay 6 eggs a week taking breaks for molt, cold weather and stressful conditions. That's pretty much the max that a chicken can produce.

Backyard chickens and breeds that are not high production layers will lay less. You will simply never get an egg a day from your hens for more than a week at a time during their first year. [​IMG]

8. Khadar

Khadar New Egg

Dec 31, 2014
    I have 300 layers just over 6 months now, but only 150 are laying, and number of layers going down everyday. The breed is Red star. any body have any ideas as what is wrong?
    Thanx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by