Chickens ONLY roost outside!

bbRedMom

Songster
12 Years
Nov 30, 2007
Central Arkansas
What do I do? I have two lovely roosts inside the coop, where it is nice and dry. But all the chickens want to roost on the old, nasty outdoor roost the previous owner put up-even in the rain!. Should I just take it down? I haven't before this because I didn't want to disrupt them too much....

That's exactly why I'm not going to add a roost to our outdoor run. It stands to reason that's where they would go. Is it maybe too hot inside the coop for them? If they're protected by a secure run, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

The only thing I was worried about was raccoons...I've read about them pulling chickens thru the wire, piece by piece. And while the roosts aren't right next to the wire, an enterprising coon could grab a hunk....Maybe some hardware cloth for that section?

Thanks!

They stay out there at night?

Have you ever made them go in at night even when they were young?

Every chick I have owned the first couple weeks I let them out into the run, I had to make sure I put them back up at night. Then they learned that is what I wanted them to do.

Then hens I taught, will put themselves up at sun down. They are free ranged and I just have to remember to go out and shut the door to the run.

So take the roost down or lock them up at night for a couple weeks and see if that doesn't teach them to go inside. Also you might try giving them a treat at night in the coop.

Good Luck

Nick

Back
Top Bottom