Chickens or roosters

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 2chicks, Aug 30, 2007.

1. 2chicks

2chicks Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2007
    I have 2 what I thought were chickens. The darker one has decided to get up at 6:15am for the past two weeks and make these awful, awful sounds that sound more like someone is trying to eat it..not like crowing. The lighter one started doing it too this morning same horrible sound and of course just to be extra annoying they stand on the neighbor's fence and stare into their yard while doing this! I think they are around 17weeks...kgarten hatched them from eggs last school year.

I am not zoned for roosters, only chickens. Nobody has complained about the racket *yet*....

Bella
    [​IMG]

Bella again
    [​IMG]

Lucky
    [​IMG]

More Lucky
    [​IMG]

Even more Lucky
    [​IMG]

Lucky and Bella
    [​IMG]

2. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    they are both chickens. im positive. pullets are females under a year old, and cockerels are males under a year old - but they are both classified as chickens. the dark one is a barred plymouth rock pullet and the light one is also a barred plymoth rock --- cockerel. cockerels are usually a lighter color in that breed. also - i think those are saddle feathers.

EDIT: it IS possible that bella could just be a rule breaker - that sometimes happens

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  3. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    They are defintely both chickens...[​IMG]

4. AmyE690

AmyE690 New Egg

May 14, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Those both look rather rooster-ish to me. I also have a barred rock rooster whose picture was on this forum a few months ago. He's a boy, alright... crowing like mad and schtupping the girls every chance he gets.

I do agree that the males tend to be lighter. Al Jolson looks just like your lighter one.

This is about the time yours would start crowing. They rather suck at it when they begin to try, so they might be first attempts.

And don't mind the folks that tease you for saying 'chickens' instead of 'hens'. 'Chickens' refers to both genders...

Good luck!

5. Happyhenz

Happyhenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2007
    Canberra Australia
    I think you have 2 coming of age roos and the noises they are making if the first attempts at crowing [​IMG]

Nice boys but.

6. homecatmom

homecatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

When you say you see saddle feathers, what exactly are you seeing?

7. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Bella is for sure a cockrel. Lucky looks like a pullet. However, you need to inspect their legs for signs they are getting spurs. That will settle the matter on Lucky. If she has bumps there, she'll becoming male too.

Also, those have black legs, so they aren't Barred Rocks.

8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    They both look like marans to me.

9. CtlisencedArborist

CtlisencedArborist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Eastford,Ct
    Yup,im no rocket sientist but there definatly chickens,lol![​IMG]

10. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I would guess roosters also. Those tail feathers--oh, and the crowing! [​IMG]

If you are zoned for chickens--keep em if you want!

Yup,im no rocket sientist but there definatly chickens,lol!

CTlisencedarborist! Good thing your not! [​IMG] They would fire you for spelling scientist wrong! [​IMG]

Of course, I am totally teasing, because I had to double check your name to figure out how to spell lisence!! (BTW, I am a scientist of sorts---- [​IMG] ) Seriously, Im totally teasing...I giggled a little to myself when I thought of that joke, so I had to share. Your welcome to tease back....

Oh, and I had to come back and edit for more spelling. Twice....​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by