Chickens out playing in the tropical storm.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by BettyR, Aug 5, 2008.

1. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    The eye of tropical storm Edouard is passing over us as I type. I let the chickens out this morning since the storm never developed into a hurricane I decided that it would be fine for them to go out. They seem to be doing very well; as the feeder bands move across the area and it starts raining hard they go under the chicken house. When the rain lets up they come out and forage. I figured if they are going to live on the Gulf Coast they need to get used to this type of weather.

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    My chickens don't seem to mind the weather one way or the other.

We had 10 inches of rain in about 3 hours a few weeks back in a flash flood, and they were sitting out in the rain, or under the coop in the huge puddles that used to be their dirt bath holes.

Silly birds!

Hope the storm blows right on by with minimal impact on you!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  3. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    I let mine out also figuring the same thing. They loved the rain from the last one. We are further south of you and just now getting rain. After they get done playing in it they either go hide in their coop or one of the barns. The ducks run around catching rain drops. All in all they are happy to see the rain just like we are. Means another cut of hay in a few weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by