Chickens outside in run when raining.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kimbymarie, May 15, 2011.

1. kimbymarie

kimbymarie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    Central Massachusetts
    My chickens are 8 weeks old in they have been out in their coop and run for a week now. Today it is absolutely pouring out. First time they have experienced rain. My run has a metal roof over it. I have a waste paper basket layed on its side with shavings in it, because I'm not sure they will go in their coop, even if they are cold or raining. Still won't go up ramp on their own. I just went to check on them and they are all in the waste paper basket. Should I put them in the coop seeing it is raw and raining out? Thank you Kim

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Sure, might as well just put them in so you don't worry about them. If they walk back into the run then they are happy. My girls like the rain, take advantage of all the temporary watering holes.

3. Rooneytune

Rooneytune Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Tacoma
    I would put them back in using the door you want them to use, and then leave the door open for them so they can choose to come out and play in the rain. My little flock knows how to get in and out of the coop (9 weeks old) but the run is also set up so they have "play room" under the coop that is nice and dry. When it rains they seem to spend most of their time under the coop, but they will still go out and run around in the rain. They also go back into the coop periodically through out the day no matter what the weather is. Do you have a Rooster in your flock? I didn't want one but we got to be "surprised" by Carlos [​IMG] I ask because it looked like our roo was teaching the girls how to get in and out. when my dog was annoying them from the out side of the run he herded all the ladies up the ramp and back into the coop!

4. kimbymarie

Apr 18, 2011
    Central Massachusetts
    I don't know if I have a rooster or not. They are only 8 weeks. The run that is attached to coop does have a angled metal roof so they are not actually getting rained on. Maybe little bits of wettness coming in on sides where hardwire cloth is. I just figured maybe they don't like it cause they are all huddled in the basket. Maybe I'll try putting them in and leave the coop door open and see if they choose on their own to come back out. They don't seem to have it figured out that they can just walk up their plank to get back into their raised coop.

5. kimbymarie

Apr 18, 2011
    Central Massachusetts
    Oh forgot too...Thank you too you both for your advise.

6. Rooneytune

Feb 18, 2011
    Tacoma
    Quote:here is my roo/ no roo pick at about 7 weeks [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. kimbymarie

Apr 18, 2011
    Central Massachusetts
    Why do you think it is a roo. Is it because the comb on one is sticking up more. Is that how you tell?

8. Rooneytune

Feb 18, 2011
    Tacoma
    Quote:yes, he has a much more pronounced comb and in this pic you can see the start of his wattle. This pic is several weeks old and now there is NO doubt he is the ROO, [​IMG]

9. kimbymarie

Apr 18, 2011
    Central Massachusetts
    Hi Tacoma, Thank you. I'll have too check mine out and see. I just went out in coop too put chicks in and leave door open. I put two in they wanted to come right back out, so I didn't proceed to try the others. I just moved their basket to a different location, directly under wooded raised coop with less hard wire exposure so they can't get wet from the rain coming in a bit along sides of run. I think they are perfectly happy. I'm all new at raising chickens so with each new experience I run into I have questions. Just want my chicks to be happy. Thank you so much. I will again check out too see if I think I could possible have any roos. I see what you are saying with the comb and wattles. 6 of my chicks look like the non roo for sure. I'm actually hoping I don't have a roo. I've read they can be mean to the hens. Thank you again sooooo much.

10. Rooneytune

Feb 18, 2011
    Tacoma
    Quote:This is my first flock too, and we really didn't want a roo either (we aren't even allowed to have them in the city) but we are going to hold on to him as long as he doesn;t get too aggressive and the neighbors don;t complain [​IMG] I totally understand worrying about our babies.... their first night out I must have checked on them 20 times [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by