Chickens overly thirsty? :/

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by whiteflare, Mar 31, 2011.

1. whiteflare

whiteflare Out of the blue

Mar 13, 2011
    Sydney
    We've found recently that when we go out in the morning to change the water, the chickens are always thirsty and gulp it down like their lives depend on it. [​IMG] There is new water for them every couple of days, and it's not hot (it's autumn) so the water isn't drying up. What could be wrong?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sometimes chickens are just like that. They like that you've brought them something new and to them, it is exciting.

Bring them fresh water, every day, for a few days, and see if they still act the same way.

3. kittycooks

kittycooks Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree they should have fresh water everyday, for sanitation reasons. The cleaner the water the less chance of disease or illness. Perhaps they recognize the water is stale.
    Chickens do drink quite a bit, twice as much as they eat I've heard.

4. whiteflare

whiteflare Out of the blue

Mar 13, 2011
    Sydney
    Quote:We don't have many chickens, only a scattering of them, and they never used to drink much at all.
    The water is always kept filled up to the top, which is a refill every one or two days.

Ours definitely eat more than they drink. Even the ones that don't lay anymore!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by