1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Chickens Panting

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hispoptart, Jun 10, 2011.

1. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    I just went out to check on my 10 week olds and they are panting like it's way to hot. It's 75 degrees out and they have plenty of water and shade to get in, yet they go inside the coop where the temp is hotter. They come out when they hear me out, but as soon as I leave they go inside. The coop part does not have a door so I can't shut it. I took more fresh water to them and they drank it, but they are still panting. Are they going to be ok? Or is something else going on? Should I spray them with some water? I plan on moving them and the coop to another location today where they will have more shade.

Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    They are just hot [​IMG] They will be OK, just keep fresh water for them and shade and they will be fine. Some people put out frozen watermelon rinds to eat and frozen water bottles for them to lean against.

3. citybiddies

citybiddies Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2011
    Ours LOVE the watermelon rinds - they're enjoying some right now. Have never frozen them first though. Will have to try that.

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

They do seem to enjoy a spritzing of water, at least mine do. You may want to try that. I also add frozen water in milk jugs out in their coop and they lay by them and dust bathe next to them. They really enjoy it [​IMG]

5. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    Mine don't like the rinds, just the watermelon. [​IMG] I will give them some after I get them moved. Thanks for your advice. I am just a scardy chicky mommy!

6. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    Quote:Totally understand! This forum is the best place to get answers, I learned most of what I know from the great people here!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by