Chickens pecking at each other

Mr Potatoes

In the Brooder
Sep 25, 2016
Hello!
I have five 5-month old Faverolles. Every couple of days, I throw out in the run some cracked corn or grubs as a treat. However, there is one hen who is being a bully and pecking at my other hens. This afternoon, when I went out their to check on them, one of them was bleeding on the head. I tried my best to clean off the wound, but there is still some blood their. Is there any way I can get them to stop this? I've tried spreading out the corn/grubs to a wider area, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Any advice?

The pecking order is something pretty common I find, unless it gets to the point when there is multiple wounds. This happened in my coop when I introduced a couple new and smaller hens. I tried using thing to distract them like things to climb on, and hiding treats. None of this really worked. After about a week the bullying completely stopped and the older hens welcomed the new ones. I guess it takes time. I also suggest trying to give them alittle more room to themselves. If bullying is still an issue after time, try separating the bully hen so when you re introduce it, its back down the pecking order or you can switch it around and put the hen that's being bullied by itself then reintroduce. Hopefully This helped!

Back
Top Bottom