Chickens pecking at ME

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HennaRose, Feb 10, 2015.

1. HennaRose

HennaRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2014
    Florida
    I've got nine babies in the brooder in the garage. Most are eight days old, two are about two weeks old. I sit in the pen with them at least once a day (this will have to stop soon, there won'tbe enough space before long!) and every time one or two will come up and peck at my freckles. Each bird has pecked me at least once this week.

Apart from wearing long sleeves, what can I do about this? Some of those baby-beaks are starting to get sharp!

2. BrendaJ

BrendaJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Oregon
    Baby chicks tend to peck and explore. They like sparkly things too. If they are pecking at your freckles you might want to wear long sleeves. Mine go after toenail polish all the time lol

3. HennaRose

HennaRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2014
    Florida
    They ALL go after my rings and bracelets. One particularly brave one will regularly go after my necklace, and I had one in my hands this evening who tried to go at my glasses!

4. Honora

Honora Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Yeah, watch your eyes too. They will peck at them if you put your face close to theirs.

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    And your teeth :oops:

6. esme13

esme13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2014
    New York
    It's normal, mine are grown and will peck at anything new. I sometimes have to yell "No no no!" when they are thinking of pecking me. Its a repeat :) but I do tap them on the beak if they bite hard. Some bite harder then others even when feeding from the hands. They like anything shiny or that stands out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by