1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Chickens pecking feather out of others

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NewHobbyForMe, Jul 21, 2010.

1. NewHobbyForMe

NewHobbyForMe Songster

Oct 10, 2009
    Missouri
    Is there something I can put on the skin where they have been plucked. What causes this? I thought the rooster was causing it but got rid of the rooster 3 months ago. Please see pictures.
    Sorry trying to add pictures

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  2. briteday

briteday Songster

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    Try a product called BluKote. It comes as a spray and also a liquid with an applicator. I vote for the liquid as I have more control over where it gets applied that way. I've used the spray as well and you just need to wear some disposable gloves or you'll look like a blueberry for a week or two until the stuff wears off your skin.

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Songster

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Blu-Kote is great for dealing with the results, but I'm wondering what the underlying cause could be. Feather plucking is usually a boredom/overcrowding problem or a result of not getting enough protien in their diet. Feathers are high in protien so if they're eating them you may want to put them on a higher protien feed or cut down on low-protien snacks.

How many chickens do you have, what size is their coop and run, and what is their usuall diet?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  4. NewHobbyForMe

NewHobbyForMe Songster

Oct 10, 2009
    Missouri
    Thank you for replying. I have 16 hens, the breed that is getting picked or plucked are the Barred Rocks only. I have RIR, BO. They have plenty of room and three 12 foot roost to sit on. I give them plenty of layer feed, oyster shell, chicken scratch, and plenty of fresh water. I will go and get some bu kote and thank you again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: