chickens pecking/pulling out each others feathers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PurplePoppiPpl, Aug 13, 2013.

1. PurplePoppiPpl

PurplePoppiPpl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    North Western Wisconsin
    Most of my chickens have a bunch of feathers missing or damage. A lot around the front of their necks, and backs. How do I stop it?

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    How old are your chickens? Do you have a rooster? Could they be molting?

3. buttercup95

buttercup95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Northern Cali
    Could they be too crowded

4. PurplePoppiPpl

Mar 31, 2012
    North Western Wisconsin
    all of them are just over a year.we have a rooster, Larry, who has really bad legs and kinda hobble s around. But I actually think he gets picked on as well. As far as overcrowdednessi only have 9 chickens in an 8 by 8 coop with a 3000 square ft run. I was pretty sure that was big enough??

5. PurplePoppiPpl

Mar 31, 2012
    North Western Wisconsin
    Oh and I guess it's possible there implying not sure what that looks like. It just looks like some of the feathers are getting clipped at the ends like there nipping at each others feathers.

6. buttercup95

buttercup95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Northern Cali
    That should be plenty of room for them. hmmm I have no idea but I hope someone else can help. If you have time maybe you can watch them and try to see if there's a mean chicken in the bunch.

7. lcahill

lcahill Chillin' With My Peeps

Hows the chickens protein intake? Sometimes they will peck and eat feathers if they are lacking protein. Also consider mites as well if all of them have the problem. They may need a good place to dust, but considering the size of their run I would think that wouldn't be a problem.

1 person likes this.
  8. PurplePoppiPpl

Mar 31, 2012
    North Western Wisconsin
    What would have more protein in it for them? Also I will dust them again cause I have had problems with mites before.... I will try harder to find out who the mean one is.

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Do you have pictures?

Any meat, cooked eggs, mealworms, and black oil sunflower seeds are high in protein.

10. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Feather eating I've been told need more protein and/or calcium, depending on age. I fed my 8wk olds scrambled eggs, they loved it and feather picking stopped about a few days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by