Chickens (peepers) won't eat pellets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Odii, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Odii

Odii Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2012
    Howdy all,

So my chickens are 18-19 weeks old now. They were on starter crumble and since I have moved over to Pellets they waste so much of them, I have a PVC gravity feeder that I made, which worked great for the crumble, but the pellets, its almost like they take all of them out to find crumble.

I feed them scratch and lots of greens as treats, but I hate seeing all this pellet food going to waste. I had the in between pellets and I already have a 50lb bag of layer pellets when they're ready for that.

Help!

2. Odii

Odii Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2012
    Thanks for that link, I had read that a while back. I might consider adding some sort of guard. I don't have an open bottom like that, I use a Y, so its a much smaller opening for food - I also didn't have any waste with the crumble - just the pellets.

I'll try that. I just wish they didn't seem to dislike the pellets so much, hehe.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

A lot of people have their chickens turn up their beaks at pellets after eating crumbles.

4. Quyen Le

Quyen Le Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    Take all their food away, use a plate and put very small amount of pellets, they will try and get use to them, then add to the feeder. Hope this helps.

5. Odii

Odii Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2012

OK I was wondering if this would work. I feel terrible doing it - I wasn't sure if they would starve themselves. Everyday I go see them, they act like they are starving - melodramatic throwing wing over their head and pretending to faint (j/k).

I had just cleaned their run too - and now there are pellets everywhere.

I think I made a mistake and put some scratch in with their pellets to try and get them to eat the pellets, now they toss aside the pellets looking for scratch =/

6. lbrtyldy

lbrtyldy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2011
    That's frustrating when they don't eat their food! Do you leave it on the floor so they have a chance to eat it? If they don't get anything else, will they eat it or not?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by