chickens picking out boss?

sydney13

Songster
Mar 11, 2010
Massachusetts
ive started making my own feed for my chickens and it contains a lot of black oil sunflower seeds. the chickens will climb into their feed pan and scratch around for all the seeds. after a few days their will be a handful of the other stuff but no sunflower seeds left in the feeder. so is it ok that they eat so much of the boss in the feed? if not should i consider using one of those hand grinders?

I mix my own feed too. They have days where they have to eat the bottom of the barrel. They whine at me, and give me the stink-eye, but I just ignore it.

I come back later in the day and fill 'er up with the new mix when the old stuff is gone. No mercy!!!

Otherwise their diet isn't balanced.

love.gif

Yup!
Picky they are...
I sprout my boss, wheat and oats. I grind my peas and corn. My other ingredients are all dry and powdery. By mixing the dry and ground ingredients with the wet sprouts, I get the chickens to most everything. I feed them "just enough" morning and night with this wet mix. They always have their dry feed in feeders which I make too. I resorted to grinding everything up so they can not pick through.
ON

Back
Top Bottom