Chickens pile up at night, and they know how to roost

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GimmeCake, Aug 23, 2013.

1. GimmeCake

GimmeCake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    My chickens, since I moved them in the coop, have been piling on top of each other in a corner at night. Here is the thing, they know how to roost at night. Anyone who doesn't fit in the corner (typically 1 or 2 chickens are rejected due to limited space in the corner) roosts on the roost for the night. So they know how to sleep on the roost, they just prefer the corner. I don't know why. It's not that cold. What should I do?

2. PugetCountry

PugetCountry Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2013
    Olympia, WA
    Mine were doing the exact same thing. I moved their coop this week and added a round limb from our yard in addition to the existing one and now they all roost except for our silkie (and whoever is on duty to keep her company--they seem to rotate).

Maybe try a different roost?

3. MelissaTXRn

MelissaTXRn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    I moved to a new coop and run recently. 2 of the hens act scared when I put them in for the night. Tail down and won't move. Funniest thing. The other 2 are fine in there. BUT I have to go out EVERY night and put them in the hen house. Don't know why they won't sleep in the house. They have a chicken mansion now. The turds

4. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Not sure how your coop is set up, but I move very slowly once I have them in the grow off pen. I used to leave a 25 watt blue light or red light on to entice them back in the coop at night. Once I close the door gently, I tend to my other coops, then turn the light off from outside the coop after I'm done, and all is quiet inside the coop. Sudden changes scare the more flighty breeds like Leghorns. Eventually they'll stop piling in the corner.

5. Whoops

Whoops Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    If it's any consolation, I was having the same concern with mine. But then, just tonight, when I peeked in there to make sure everybody was inside before I shut the coop, there there were, all on the roost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by