1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens pooping blood chunks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cddoubletrouble, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Cddoubletrouble

Cddoubletrouble New Egg

Nov 17, 2016
    I have 6 old chickens and 8 young chickens. One of my chickens(I don't know which one)pooped a big bloody chunk.Any help would be great. [​IMG][​IMG]

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    A pic would be helpful.

It could either be intestinal lining which is normal\fine or coccidiosis which is more common in younger chicks and if not treated fatal.Are they lethargic.Are they eating and drinking?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Overrun With Chickens

If you post a pic it would help alot. Can you see any worms in it?
    Bloody droppings are typically a sign of coccidosis, which can be deadly. It typically only affects younger chickens, but you can treat it with... Corid, I think. I've never had a cocci problem with my flock, so it isn't fixed in ma brain.
    It could also have been just a long piece of intestinal lining that wore off. If it was it isn't a big deal.

1 person likes this.
  4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

1 person likes this.
  5. Cddoubletrouble

Cddoubletrouble New Egg

Nov 17, 2016
    Thanks guys It helped a lot and I think I should not worry about it.they are all eating and drinking and doing fine.

6. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    It was probably intestinal lining.They wouldn't be eating and drinking if it was cocci.[​IMG]

7. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Overrun With Chickens

At this point I would just keep an eye on the ground for more bloody poop. If you see any more, then treat with Corid. Don't treat your flock with anything (besides probiotics) until you are sure of what disease they have. If you treat them unescisarily, then it could cause more harm than good.

8. Cddoubletrouble

Cddoubletrouble New Egg

Nov 17, 2016
    Ok thanks.I'll keep an eye on them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by