Chickens pooping in nesting boxes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by heather1234, Jun 14, 2016.

1. heather1234

heather1234 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2016
    Hey! I hope this is the right place for my question. I have 5 chickens and 3 nesting boxes. My husband and i are not very good at building the coop so we decided to buy one from tractor supply for now. I have been told to place a fake egg or golf ball in the nesting boxes so they don't poop in them but they still do. They are not old enough yet to lay. I have rhode island reds i believe and they are about 14-15 weeks. Will they stop when they start laying or is there anything else i can do. I dont really want to block them off because the inside of the house isnt very big...

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Chickens generally like to roost at the highest point possible. Are the roosts higher than the nest boxes? If not can they be raised or can the nest boxes be lowered. It might be a good idea to block off the nest boxes until the birds start using the roosts.

3. heather1234

heather1234 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2016
    No they are not higher its the same level. Its just one of those small ones from tractor supply

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by