Chicken's preening each other

Clarebaxter

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 14, 2013
One of my chickens is molting hard and has new feathers coming in all over her head and neck. Today I saw another chicken, who she is very close too as they were added to the flock late and had to endure the hardship of fitting in together, preening the back of her head for her. It was very sweet. I didn't know that chickens would preen each other.....

You may find that this is a common occurrence among close-knit flicks or small groups of close hens. It's cute isn't it? I see it a lot in my flock.

I love it when my girls do this! They will also clean food off of each others faces. When they eat oatmeal, they clean each other off and help my EE clean up her beard and muffs. Isn't it adorable??!!

Yes! My special needs hen isn't strong enough to roost so she sleeps underneath the roost and cops a lot of poo during the night. In the morning the others clean the poop off her feathers (gross, but yeah).

Yes! My special needs hen isn't strong enough to roost so she sleeps underneath the roost and cops a lot of poo during the night. In the morning the others clean the poop off her feathers (gross, but yeah).

I love that you take care of a special needs hen.
hugs.gif

I love that you take care of a special needs hen.  :hugs

Thanks, she was permanently lamed in an accident a few years ago but she's the sweetest thing. I think caring for injured/special needs animals is so worth it.

I notice when my head girl preens the other girls, her under feathers on her wings kind of fan down. Has anyone else seen this? It looks to me as an almost submissive sign, that she's saying she's nurturing, not coming to fight. I'm curious to know if that's common? Yes, they look so sweet in this moment <3

One of my roos actually started preening my hair the other day XD I felt like part of the flock. He's a mama's boy any way. While I'm here... Who else has hens and roos that will lay like babies in your arms/laps?

Back
Top Bottom