Chickens Proud of Their Eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Buff Hooligans, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    When we first started finding eggs in the nestbox, we were surprised when the pullets ran up the gangplank from their run to watch us collect the eggs. Before, when we opened the coop door for whatever reason, they stayed in the run, ignoring us.

Do they know they've done something good and want to take credit by being the first on the scene?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I think they wanted to have their picture made. LOL

Congrats!

3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I think they want an omlette! [​IMG]

4. llxll00llxll

llxll00llxll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2007
    ::So Cal::
    mmmm..omelette [​IMG] pullets are brave little beasts

5. chickengirlnm

chickengirlnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    I only have one girl that is old enough to give us breakfast - before she started laying she never paid me any attention when I would go into the coop, but after she started laying she runs to the coop and beats me inside when I go to get her egg - the other hens that are still young dont pay any attention to the whole egg thing.
    I just wish she would tell me when she has laid I have read many threads about how hens will make alot of noise before/ after they lay Miss Peaches will sometimes tell me most of the time not so I have to go out there many many times and check for the egg

Julie

6. llxll00llxll

llxll00llxll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2007
    ::So Cal::
    i figured out mine lays about 10 am everyday... when its a little colder it takes her about a half hour longer...and mine makes no noise when she gets to it.. shes quiet

7. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    I think they are proud of their accomplishment! Everytime I find an egg/eggs in the boxes I say "Thank You, Ladies!!!" If I thank them all at the same time, everytime, I know I've thanked the right ones...[​IMG]

Dawn

8. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Out of 9 hens only two are laying so far so when I get their eggs every day I thank my good girls for the nice brown eggs I'm about to receive.

9. domromer

domromer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    My girls just started laying last week. They don't seem to have much pride in their eggs. They avoid going close to them. The seems to be happy to get rid of them. I think their saying, " Get this foreign object out of here".

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  10. dragon

dragon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2007
    brainerd mn
    they really dont want ya messing with the eggs, but seem to forget moments later..........phebee "sings" b4 laying....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by