chickens proved to be intelligent and think about the future

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TinyBirds, Sep 3, 2009.

1. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
  2. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
  3. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Very interesting! Just goes to show you they will do ANYTHING for food. I wonder if I can teach my hens patience....

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I know mine do, at least a little bit.

Yesterday evening Houdini wouldn't go in the coop but roosted in a tree above my reach. She's fairly safe that high up, so I locked the others up. In the morning I couldn't get her in the pen either so Houdini got to free range all day, at risk of any dog that comes up while I'm gone - I let the others out with her around 5pm when I was home.

After dark I go out to lock up and ALL but one of my birds, even the rooster, have chosen roosts outside the coop!!!! They figure, if Houdini did it and got to stay out all day then we should too! They're not as good at picking roosts though. I got one off the top of the hen house (only about 5ft tall) the rooster was perched on top of their portable run (about 3ft up, he's heavy) and Houdini and another white one were up in a treebranch - except THIS time I had their run under that branch and I stood on it to get them both down. Everyone got put on a roost and locked in. Houdini got her wings clipped again before she went in the coop. Queenie is too heavy to fly much, and she's an outcast, so I guess that's why she was the only one on her roost.

Since they've never ever done it before, and it only happened right after Houdini got to free range all day, I have to figure that they must have made the connection "roost outside the pen = get to free range"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by