Chickens put themselves up for the night

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gryeyes, Jan 5, 2010.

1. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yes, that's a real "DUH!" subject line, but until this weekend, *I* never saw it! Stupid Standard time and my work hours means I always get home well after dark and just lift the coop lid, count chickens, apologize for disturbing them, and close the lid and the pop door. I see 'em in the mornings when I let them out around dawn, but I never saw them go inside all on their own, until this past weekend.

Personally, I found it adorable.

7 chickens; six pullets and one roo, all around 3 months old. The girls start meandering toward the coop in a generally bunched fashion, with an occasional one wandering sideways after a particularly tasty bit of grass or bug or something. The rooster dashes around, ahead of them, behind them, in between some of them, just checking things out, like he's counting them. Not herding them, just keeping track.

Then they move into the covered pen area (they spend daytimes in a covered RUN, but there's a covered pen inside the run, attached to the coop, too). They snack on some feed, drink some water, scratch at the low tub of sand, one or two go up the ramp into the coop. Maybe one comes back out. Two more go in. The rooster makes a dash for the furthest part of the run and comes back all flappy, having made sure they're all close to the coop. Then he marches around the coop/run until stragglers have moved into the covered pen.

Another chicken comes out of the coop, stands on the ramp, then goes back in. Some discussion occurs inside the coop. The rooster enters. More discussion. A loud BAWK! and more discussion.

The last chicken steps up the ramp and stands there, then moves inside. More discussion.

And then just soft chicken mumbling. I close the pop door, close the pen door, and exit the run, smiling.

2. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    Awwwwww... *sniff* how cute--I appreciate observing their little rituals too...

3. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    It's always a precious site to see. Our run is enclosed right now due to below freezing temps so we have to bribe the girls to come in. Can't wait for warm weather!

4. Benelli

Benelli Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    They are funny. I've noticed my EE's go in about 30 minutes before my RIR's and Buff Roo. They also split up during the day when free ranging. The RIR's go off and the EE's go their way. The Buff roo runs himself to death trying to make sure they're all safe:D

5. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    Mine are still stinkers butts and have to be herded into the coop.

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Awwwwwwwwwww. How sweet. It sure is cute when they "come in" for the night, huh? I love my chickens!! [​IMG]

7. RM44

RM44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    Woodstock, Georgia
    I love it! I miss watching my chickens outside, but am enjoying the 3 week old babies in the house right now. Can't wait to get back outside to the coop and run with them. My Hubby is building a new chicken coop and he's going to put in windows so we can watch them without having to be in the coop with them.

Have fun and enjoy them!

8. patricium

patricium Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Western New York
    Mine are in the garage for the winter, but I did love to watch them go to bed at dusk when they were out free ranging this fall. They'd gather in the general vicinity of the coop for a last-minute snack. The buff brahmas were always the first to go in. The red stars stayed out later, and my little bantam BR rooster would be last. He would always walk completely around the coop once to make sure everybody was in before he retired. So sweet.

Now he's the first one down the ramp and waits to chase and pounce on the first hen to venture out. (teen hormones, sigh.. ;-)

9. ange

ange Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2009
    CORNING NY
    I know it is so cute. I watch them as it becomes dusk, and they are just roaming in the yard they., where ever they are, go to the pen. I had to stop the free roaming because a hawk got one of my welsummer, so now I LET THEM OUT TO ROAM L HOUR BEFORE DUSK, THEN i can watch them, and they back to coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by