Chickens & Rabbits (just an old cartoon or can you really do this?)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by midget_farms, May 6, 2008.

1. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    my Daughter wants a pet rabbit. I know rabbits do very well in a little hutch with no leg room. They feel safe. I was thinking of having the hutch open into my chicken run (very well fenced) so it could get some room to roam. In a 25 x 25 pen with 10 or so chickens can I add a rabbit or will that just not be a good mix?

2. dfunnyfarm

dfunnyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    ks
    I have rabbits and chickens. I let my bunnies run with my chickens but only when I can be there to watch. They can dig really well and I did have one problem once where my chickens pecked my male bunnies privates. Took a long time to heal.

3. WisconsinChick

WisconsinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

My rabbit loves hanging out with the chickens and we never had any problems.

4. Porterfive

Porterfive Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Collinsville, MS
    We have two Mini Lops and they have their own hutch inside the chicken run. Every morning we let them out, then put them up at night. They're even so smart as to "go to bed" when we round them up when it gets dark.

They do just fine with the 18 chickens they are penned with. The first week or so, the chickens didn't know what to think of them and it was a sight to see. But they get along pretty well now.

We put out Greens and other veggies for the Chicks and Bunnies to munch on and sometimes if a bunny gets too close while eating the chickens will peck it, but the bunny doesn't seem to mind.

Both of ours are girls, so nothing other than eyes to worry about getting pecked, but the lops tend to move very quickly LOL.

So, good experience here.

Oh BTW, and I have no Roosters in the same pen, I would imagine that might be a problem.

That's my two cents.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by