Chickens, rain and cooler temps

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wac, Oct 18, 2011.

1. wac

wac Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2011
    Indiana
    I've noticed that my hens will stay out in the rain. Now that it's getting colder should I keep them shut up on days like this. It' been raining all day and suppose to continue. Today's high is 52 and low 30's tonight! Thanks for your thoughts

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

You're worried about them at 52?! Geez! They are fine! Unless they are those weird naked chickens I've seen :S

Mine have done well even bellow 0 - well 32 for you I guess. Haven't had any snow yet, so I wonder how that will go [​IMG]

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    As long as they have access to the coop, if they get too wet they'll go in on their own. They know when they're comfortable and when they're not. Don't overthink this. Just let them out and they'll take care of their comfort themselves.
    50 isn't cold for a chicken.

4. mons02035

mons02035 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    Carmel, Maine
    I think his concern is the fact they are wet and then the temp falls below 32. Will they get frost bite? Freeze? or nothing?

5. wac

wac Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2011
    Indiana
    Yes my concern is them getting really wet in this rain that suppose to last a couple days and then cold nights Thanks for the help I probably am over thinking it.

6. mons02035

Aug 4, 2010
    Carmel, Maine
    Your not really over thinking it. I am not really sure about what the solution is for you. I know that there are many on here that put petroleum jelly on the chickens waddle and combs to prevent frostbite. I am not sure about the legs and feet though.

That being said, I think that if the temp is only falling a little below 32 outside and it is only for a few hours at night and it warms up during the day, I would not be overly concerned. But when it becomes a regular thing and falls well below 32 I would not let them out if it is snowing or sleeting or raining. I keep mine locked in and even when I do open the door for them, they will not step into the snow, they stay on the ramp because the sun usually melts that snow off the ramp.

7. jc12551

jc12551 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    S.W. TN
    If the weather is going to be below freezing or really windy I have (in the past) put some petroleum jelly on the combs and wattles. With as many chickens as I have now, I don't know that I will be able to do it. Mine stay out in the rain and some even sleep in the trees in the rain. It is in the upper 30's tonight and there are two BTW Japanese bantams, one dom, and six turkeys in a tree. I open the coop for them every day and let them decide.

A few years back I had four hens and a roo in a small back yard pen. We had almost two feet of snow fall during the day. They spent time under the roof that covered part of the shed, but they spent nearly as much time playing in the snow!

8. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    Around Thanksgiving week last year, we had over 20" of snow and I thought to keep my girls locked up, warm and toasty. They went absolutely bonkers!! So I opened it up for them and they went out in it - happily and willingly. Mind you, most didn't stay out for very long, but they had fun and were very happy.

Point is, if they want to go out? Let 'em. They'll decide if and/or when it's too cold for them. If they don't want out? They'll stay in regardless if the door is open.

9. DebbieDee

DebbieDee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Boise
    I would make an area where they can get out of the weather. My girls wil stay out in it. So I put a shelter in their run. Besides the coop. Which the only go in there to lay and sleep.It's going to be a long cold winter...[​IMG]

10. mons02035

Aug 4, 2010
    Carmel, Maine
    So, my question would be for the very cold climate peeps. If during the day I let them out and it is snowing a wet nasty snow, they get soak and wet and then go into the coop for the night and the temp falls to 20 degrees or even colder, are they okay? It is not uncommon for it to get right around 30 degrees or so and snow a wet heavy snow and then have the temps drop to negative numbers in the coop at night. Last year my girls would not go out in the snow (after it had snowed) so I am wondering that now that they are older and have been out all summer they may have a change of heart this winter and want to go out. Right now I am thinking that I will leave them locked up while it is snowing and then let them out after it is done snowing, that way they stay a little dryer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by