Chickens & Rain

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SproutGirl, May 24, 2008.

1. SproutGirl

SproutGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Missoula, Montana
    It has been raining here non-stop for a week, and as far as I can see in the forecast, there's nothing but rain to come. My poor birds still come out and run around in the grass getting a little wet. I suppose there are a lot of good worms to find in this weather, but I feel sorry for them when they go to their favorite dusting spots and find nothing but wet dirt. They don't seem to understand that they can't dust in that stuff, and try anyway. Poor birds. Should I be keeping them in when it rains? What do other folks do for their chickens in persistent wet weather? Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I just let them be chickens! Doesn't seem to affect them in any way. [​IMG]

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Yea, just let them be chickens! I just leave the coop door open so they can get out of the rain. Don't worry about the dust baths, they will make up for it, LOL

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    OH that's kind of funny that they still try to take their dust baths! Poor things! I would just let them be. I'm sure if they didn't like it they would be smart enough to go back into their house. At least one would hope.

5. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    Mine love the rain some of them stay out in a down pour. As soon as the rain stops they are out there digging and going crazy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by