chickens ready for adult feed (layena by purina)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by austin newman, Dec 16, 2011.

1. austin newman

austin newman New Egg

Dec 16, 2011
    This previous summer i purchased 5 new chicks to add to my existing flock of 3 hens and i have been keeping them seperate because i have been told i cant feed the adult hens starter feed but the chicks are now pullets and i dont know exactly how many weeks old they are so i am just wondering what are some signs to look out for to switch them to layer feed?

owner of :1 dog , 2 amerucanas, 3 mille fluer bantams ,1 buff orpington , 1 splash maran , and one barred rock

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Well, if they were chicks last summer, they were hatched when? July? If so, they are almost 24 weeks. August? Still, they'd be 20 weeks. You may proceed, full steam ahead!! [​IMG][​IMG]

Layena for everyone!!! [​IMG]

3. austin newman

austin newman New Egg

Dec 16, 2011
    even if they have no aparent signs of there waddle comming in yet

4. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Some breeds have very small combs and do not get waddles. Are they fully feathered? What color is their face (yellowish or red)? Pictures would help us figure out how old they might be.

5. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:Who told you this? It is fine for adults to eat starter feed, as long as you provide a supplemental source of calcium. Of the 3 types of feed - starter, grower and layer, adults can eat all.

What most people do when they have a flock of mixed ages, is to provide starter/grower for the whole flock and then provide a supplemental source of calcium for the layers. They will only take what they need.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  6. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Quote:Who told you this? It is fine for adults to eat starter feed, as long as you provide a supplemental source of calcium. Of the 3 types of feed - starter, grower and layer, adults can eat all.

What most people do when they have a flock of mixed ages, is to provide starter/grower for the whole flock and then provide a supplemental source of calcium for the layers. They will only take what they need.

I believe austin is probably referring to medicated starter, which specifically states on the bag that it should not be fed to laying hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by