Chickens really eat ANYTHING!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Flock Leader, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Flock Leader

Flock Leader Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2012
    Israel
    This is a little gross, but I thought that if there's a place to share this story, it's here on the forum. I just got definite proof that chickens will eat ANYTHING: my daughter was sick and vomited right near the chicken coop... and before I could blink, the chickens just swooped on her vomit and swallowed it as if it's the tastiest thing in the world! Anyone with similar experience?

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] Well, you got a good clean-up crew.

3. HenFriend

HenFriend Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2012
    West Wales, UK
    That is really gross. We used to have RIR hens that ate dog poo, disgusting.[​IMG]

4. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    On a road trip my brother got motion sick in the car. We stopped at a gas station to get napkins to clean it up. It just so happened that the gas station had chickens roaming around! Not knowing the chickens were there, my mom set the dirty napkins on the ground, and the chickens snatched them up as fast as they could. [​IMG]

5. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Well, our chickens eat dog poo and dead rotting mice and rats. [​IMG]

6. Flock Leader

Flock Leader Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2012
    Israel
    I see I'm not the only one then. :eek:) Just to make it clear, the chickens weren't starving or anything, they get plenty of good food every day, including very pricey layers' pellets!

7. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Same with my birds. They will eat anything, or at least try to. I had to stop they eating some red rubber bands (although they did manage to eat a few even with my frantically chasing they around the garden). I was worried they would get sick - but luckily they were fine.

They even tried eating plastic bags, plant fertilizer pellets, sawdust, and paint!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by