Chickens Really Won't Eat Anything

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChickenMack, Nov 26, 2011.

1. ChickenMack

ChickenMack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Okay, so a few weeks ago, I noticed some bloody poop and evidence of worm activity from my chickens. I read a lot of posts on here about worming products and chose Zimecterin Gold for it's all purpose worming use. It is a light orange paste. So, I cut up six pieces of beak width cheese and put it on there and fed one to each chicken. It must have bitter because after they had it, they shook their heads and wiped their beaks and generally looked disgusted.

So, it has been ten days and I go out to give them the paste again, I put it on some tofu and offered it to them as before. Well they came running, looked at what I was offering and literally ran away. Okay, so I thought, must be the tofu. I go in the house and make seven little Zimecterin sandwiches- because they love wheat bread. I took it out there and once again, they came running, one took the offering and shook it out of its mouth and the others ran away. Darnit, that is two batch of doses down the drain. Can you believe it? Chickens won't eat anything.

Finally, at roosting time, I went into their coop, had my son help hold them, put a pea sized amount on my finger, pried their little beaks open and wiped it into their mouths. LOL:/

2. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    Yup. Tried all of the aforementioned too. So, I grabbed one at a time this morning and squatted on them, between my knees and smeared a pea size drop of safeguard in their mouths. They're smarter than my dog. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by